Why is salt used in the winter time?
Rock salt is economical to purchase in large amounts. It is readily available and is an effective tool for keeping our surfaces clear of ice and snow. Yet, it is very important to manage the usage in order to reduce the negative impact that rock salt may have on our environment.
Salt can have damaging costs for all of us. As an individual user, it could affect our clothes, shoes, animal friends, lawns, gardens, and vehicles. As a community it can damage sidewalks, roads, buildings, and bridges and can lead to increased maintenance costs.
Kissner has a solution, but first let’s look at some of the effects of rock salt:
On our urban environment . . .
- Buildings:outside structures (bricks/concrete/sidewalks), doorways and flooring may become damaged, increasing repair costs.
- Vehicles (cars/trucks):salt can accelerate rusting, causing damage and increasing repair costs.
- Clothing:salt can stain and potentially ruin footwear and clothing.
On our natural environment . . .
- Drinking water sources:damaging sodium and chloride from winter salt eventually makes its way to drinking water wells in some communities. High chloride levels may make drinking water taste salty.
- Vegetation (plants/trees/shrubs):if sprayed with salt, vegetation can lose its hardiness to the cold and be killed by freezing temperatures and high salt levels.
- Wildlife:attracted to salt on or by the road, which increases the threat of collisions with vehicles.
- Pets:salt trapped on paws can irritate and crack skin.
What is the environmentally safer alternative to salt?
The secret to creating an environmentally safer alternative to salt is the combination of Beet Extract and Calcium Magnesium Acetate (CMA). Kissner was proud to introduce Ice Beeter™ Responsible in 2015. Ice Beeter™ Responsible is specially formulated with Beet Extract solution and CMA.
Here are some benefits to Beet Extract and CMA:
- Beet Extract works down to a lower freezing point temperature of -20C, where as rock salt works down to -10C
- Beet Extract solution gives the salt granulations a tacky coating. This allows the salt to stick to the intended surface, meaning less application of salt, which we know is better for the environment.
- Beet Extract solution is a farm waste product, which Kissner has repurposed thus giving it an organic label
In addition to the Beet Extract solution, the granulations are combined with Calcium Magnesium Acetate. CMA is a patented chemical formulation from dolomitic lime and acetic acid. CMA is generally used in a solid form and spread on the surface like other de-icers. CMA is used worldwide to answer environmental concerns and solve problems associated with corrosion and concrete spalling.
- CMA helps reduce damage to vehicles and equipment, as well as other metal surfaces
- CMA works as an excellent inhibitor, reducing chloride corrosion
- It is safe for the environment as it has a low toxicity and is biodegradable
- CMA requires fewer applications
When looking for a safer alternative to rock salt, choose Ice Beeter™ Responsible and keep our environment healthy!
Contact Kissner Group Inc. today for all of your Ice Melter needs.
32 Cherry Blossom Road, Cambridge, ON N3H 4R7.
Phone: 1-800-434-8248 | Fax: 1-877-434-8250.